11 Dec 2010

Rolie Polie Olie 1999



I recently found some RPO sequences I animated , and I d like to share with you. I have got a lot more in a box somewhere... As soon as I  find it, I will  creatr a new montage.
Rolie Polie Olie tv show was a great experience. The animation was in Sparxanimation studio, unfortunately closed now. I started in season 2  as a checking layout, then became a character animator for season 3 and 4, then I worked as a Director animator for the 6th season in Vietnam.
My best memory from that project comes from the time I was an animator on it. The team was great, the best I have had the opportunity to work with. Strong personalities, talented people, funny, sensitive, authentic.  Everyone had a different animation approach, it was very inspiring. We worked in the basement, the smoking room, at that time we were able to smoke at work, this room was also called “ LA CAVE ”….
 We worked hard because we had to deliver 4 seconds a day. At that time forget about playing your scene in real time, model was nurbs surface, and playblast took ages, the software was softimage 3,7.
 We worked hard, but we could also afford sometimes to have a break and things went totally crazy for 10 to 20 minutes, I believe the production team upstairs were sometimes scared, after the nervous breakdown  ;-) we were back to work as normal. After work we used to stay at the office to play video game quake arena, I remember some breathless time without mercy…
 We were under the animation direction of Michel, with whom I learned a lot about cartoon animation, I am very thankful. 
Rolie Polie Olie won a Gemini Award in Canada for "Best Animated Program" in 1999. The show also won a Daytime Emmy Award for "Outstanding Special Class Animated Program" in 1999 and 2000. 

No comments:

Post a Comment